Gun Holster material- Kydex vs Leather vs Nylon; which one is the best?
A gun holster is a case typically of leather used to store a pistol. These holsters are attached to a strap, saddle, or belt. Nowadays, apart from leather material, holsters are available in Kydex and nylon as well.
What are the different varieties of gun holsters?
- Inside/Outside waistbands
In this type of gun holster, the waistband is designed to either sit outside of the belt or inside of the belt, depending on whatever is comfortable.
- Belly bands
This type of holster is designed as a band that can be worn under clothes. These bands can be easily adjusted and can be accessed easily too.
- Shoulder holsters
This type of gun holster is designed to allow the gun to rest on the chest. They are easy to access, light in weight and nonrestrictive at the same time.
- Ankle Holsters
As the name suggests, this holster lets the gun sit on the ankle. Mostly, guns placed in the ankle holsters are the second priority gun to make sure in any situation the person does not get disarmed.
Different materials available:
- Nylon Holsters
This material is inexpensive as compared to other materials available. Nylon holsters are easy to maintain. The material is light in weight and soft in texture. It absorbs oil, water, and dust. The nylon used in these holsters is Ballistic nylon or Cordura nylon.
- Leather Holsters
This material is very flexible and comfortable as compared to other materials available. Although, leather provides lesser support and does not absorb sweat. Drawing gin from a leather holster is quiet. The quality of leather material degrades over time.
- Kydex Holsters
Holsters made out of Kydex material do not lose out their shape over the years. These cases can be moulded to a specific shape just by adding a little bit of heat. They are light in weight and are less expensive than leather. Although, it can be a little noisy while drawing the gun from the Kydex holster. You can purchase the best Kydex holsters online.
Why is it important to carry a gun holster?
- Easy to access- Gun holsters make it easier to access the firearm, as they are close to the body.
- Maintains the firearm’s safety- A gun holster keeps the firearm safe by keeping the weapon out of reach from wrong intentional people. All gun owners need to maintain the safety of their guns.
- Concealment- In many countries, it is not legal yet to roam around with a weapon openly. Therefore, gun holsters provide concealment, which helps keep the firearm out of sight from people. One can wear a jacket wearing the holster underneath.
- Saves time- Gun holsters help keep the gun loaded, which saves a lot of time than reloading it again and again.
- Matter of comfort- The way gun holsters are designed carrying the gun way more comfortable than carrying it in the pocket.
Things to Remember while selecting a Holster.
While choosing the best holster for yourself, make sure it is durable, has good security, easy to use, and lightweight.